Blogbanner1

October 27, 2007

Part I - The GCBRO & Monster Central - My View

Months ago I first heard word of an annual event to take place at a piece of property called "Monster Central".

Stories out of this area range from the typical rock throwing incidents - all the way to the claim that one of these animals was shot. Yes, thats what I said - there is a claim and stories about how a Bigfoot was shot on the property known as "Monster Central". Is the story true? I have no way of knowing. I have heard it a few times, but as I was not there I can only relay gossip - so I wont re-tell that story yet again.


"Monster Central" is claimed to have Bigfoot activity almost constantly - a true hot bed of activity (if you listen to some). But, even Mr. Lansdale says the activity is intermittent. Why shouldn't there be activity at Monster Central?? If you follow the activities of the TBRC, you know we spend much of our time in East Texas - not all that far from this area. So, I would think its possible - but how much activity?? Thats a question I can not even venture a guess to. But, its not out of the realm of possibility.


The person in charge of "Monster Central" is none other than Mr. Jim Lansdale. This property is owned by Mr. Lansdale and his family. While I will not give an exact location, I will tell you it sits on the edge of West Central Louisiana. If you picked up a rock and threw it - it would most likely land in Texas.


Now, for those of you who keep up with this blog, you know over the last year there has been little love lost between myself and members of the GCBRO - a group in which Mr. Lansdale is a prominent member and Mr. Bobby Hamilton is the leader.


I am getting way ahead of myself. Lets go back a little for those of you who may be new to this research and are wondering what I am talking about.


Tension issue #1


There are two camps in this research: "Kill" and the "No-Kill". I am firmly in the "No Kill" camp while members of the GCBRO are firmly in the "Kill" camp. Mr. Lansdale organizes regular "hunts" on his property - which is named "Monster Central" - so that once a year members of the GCBRO can come to "Monster Central" in an attempt to kill one of these animals to, in their words, "end this mystery once and for all."


That will certainly do it.


Do I disagree with their opinion that killing one of these animals is the best and probably only way to document the animal - actually, no. I think it would end all discussion if a body were to be thrown on a gurney in front of Dr. Meldrum or any other member of the scientific community. I just can't be the one who pulls the trigger. It saddens my heart to think that this is most likely the only option, but I'm afraid that it is what science demands - hard, unshakable, in your face proof. A body would absolutely qualify.


So, while I don't disagree with members of the GCBRO - there chosen method is just not mine.


Tension issue #2


An article I wrote some months back on M.K. Davis and John Johnsen. Do I blame any of them for being angry with me? No. I half expected it, as M.K. is (or was) a member of this organization. John Johnsen has since left the group.


So, the question in my mind was, if I signed up for this barbecue at "Monster Central", what would the response be by the organization? Not telling them an article would be written was out of the question - I wouldn't go there under false pretenses. I would be honest and upfront and tell them right away I wanted to attend for a few simple reasons.


1. See Monster Central for myself. Was it as spooky as it is claimed?

2. Meet the members of the GCBRO and decide for myself.

3. Write about my experiences and what I observe.


I'm not one to just believe everything I hear and I wanted to give these people the opportunity to show me what this group is all about.


I was pleasantly surprised when not only was my registration graciously accepted, but it appeared they were happy about my attendance. I was, well to say the least, confused, stunned, shocked.... You can name the emotion. Not more than a couple days after I was registered, I received an email giving me a location to meet where I would be guided into the area known as "Monster Central"... now I was getting nervous. The members of the GCBRO have a reputation - they are tough and do not like to be messed with.


Was I being allowed to come so they could verbally take me apart for being so outspoken about their organization? That couldn't be it, as I really never said anything about the group as a whole, just individual members, and not because they were members of the GCBRO either.


I would have to wait to find out. As many of you know, when I say I will do something - I do it, so I was going no matter what (but I will say - I didn't think when I turned in my registration, it would be approved. Seems someone called my bluff)!


At 6:30 am on October 20th, 2007 I loaded up my field gear in my car and headed out to Louisiana - more specifically a small town in the middle of nowhere where I was to meet Jim Lansdale himself and another member of the GCBRO by the name of Scott. Somehow Scott and I had formed a friendship during our many internet disagreements. For 2 or more weeks prior to this event I had been corresponding via e-mail with Scott and speaking with him by phone. I grew to trust him and looked forward to our conversations. Scott's honesty was something I knew I could depend on. He is the kind of man that just tells it like it is, and that's something I appreciate and grew to respect.

I was excited and nervous. I had a couple of tense exchanges with Mr. Lansdale - what would happen when we met?


What would this weekend hold for me? Would it finally be my turn to see a large upright, bipedal North American Primate?????


Watch for Part II, with photos of the area known as "Monster Central".

6 Comments:

  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Pywacket said…

    What a tease! lol How long do we have to wait for part two?

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Melissa Hovey said…

    Part 2 is already being written. No worries - It wont be too long. It will give you something to look forward to. :)

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey melissa wonderful new article about monster central, looking forward to part 2 soon. thanks bill green :)

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melissa,

    A very well written piece. All the facts are straight. Welcome back, your blog has been empty for a while.

    JOhn Johnsen
    Grendel Films

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Melissa, I see you are still your tenacious self! Interesting read and I too am looking forward to part 2. Ive been to some of that area in East Texas and its spectacular in its vastness and as a remote area, its tough to beat. Thanks for all of your contributions to this mystery.

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    its all crap never found a body a carcass a tooth any bones ..nothing.... its a great scam !!

     

Post a Comment