Blogbanner1

January 15, 2014

The Sierra Shooting.....

Justin Smeja
Here is a blast from the past. I wrote this article back on Jan 3, 2012. This was my first article on Justin and his story and I believe the last.






Other than adding Justin's name as a caption this is unchanged.

Enjoy !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Was a Bigfoot shot and killed in the Sierra Mountains of California?

A gentleman by the name of, Justin Smeja, says “Yes,” and he is the man who did it.

Now, before I start this story let me say this. I have stayed away from the telling of this. Why? I wasn’t there and I haven’t spoken with Mr. Smeja.

Is this story true? Well, I am going to spread the story some more.

Justin Smeja says on October 8th of 2010 he was out bear and deer hunting with a friend. When they rounded a corner in a truck and seen what, Justin describes as a “monster”.

Okay, everyone stop. Take a deep breath.

Let’s be honest, most people would think the very same thing if confronted with an animal that is not supposed to exist. Bigfoot is the stuff of nightmares for most.

Why? Because unlike Bigfoot researchers, the general population thinks “it’s a good story, but really, it can’t really be out there.” Sure they watch the T.V. shows and then take the Yahoo polls, but when new reports come in, the witnesses are still just as freaked out as ever.

Thinking something could be out there, is far different, than seeing it and knowing it’s out there.

So, Justin, and his friend (who is unnamed) round this corner in the truck and spot this Bigfoot. Justin states he grabbed his rifle (I am assuming he exited the vehicle) and put the Bigfoot in his scope. 


At the same time his friend is looking at the Bigfoot through his binoculars, yelling at Justin, “It’s a person in a suit, don’t shoot!” 

While (according to Justin) the alleged Bigfoot has its arms in the air in a manner which suggests the animal is trying to say “don’t shoot!” Justin does anyway, and says he hit the animal in the lung.

First issue, If you don’t know with absolute certainty what you are about to shoot is not an animal, but could be a person in a suit (say for example for a production company or just some idiot who thinks it’s funny) you probably shouldn’t be pulling the trigger.

So Justin pulls the trigger and hits this animal in the lung. Assuming of course it’s a Bigfoot, and not some poor schmuck in a costume with a bad sense of humor.

Justin then reports two juveniles are seen, as both Jason and his friend look for what they now think is a female Bigfoot.

In the interest of time let’s just cut to the chase, because in his own telling of the situation on
Abe’s show, things were a bit confusing at this point.

Understandably there was much rushing through his head and both of these men had to be scared out of their shorts if they really thought they either killed a human in a suit or lung shot an animal. Either one of the options can carry some serious life changing issues. One might also, reasonably assume, if the animal didn’t drop where it stood, it may come back looking for you. I might think that.

Justin then reports he shot one of the juveniles. Apparently Justin was being approached by one of the juveniles, and against the advice of his friend, Justin, neck shot the juvenile.

What happened after this point is of no real consequence. If you believe the story told by, Justin, it is game over.

As I sit here and listen to the story I can’t deny he sounds like a man who has great remorse for whatever he may have done, OR, he is a great storyteller. As he discusses his friend, holding the dead juvenile in his arms and saying, “what did you do?” It’s almost painful to listen to.

Whether you believe, Justin, or not – this is one powerful story. Way better than anything told by Biscardi or the Georgia Boys.

I have the feeling that one day this story will rank right up there with “Ape Canyon.” It will be told for years to come.

But, Justin Smeja has unknowingly re-kindled a fight that has been going on within this field of research for a very long time; the Kill vs. No-Kill debate.

First of all, let’s be very clear on one point. Justin was not a Bigfoot researcher at the time of this shooting. Our own Kill vs. No-Kill label doesn’t apply. By his own admission, he was simply out in the wilderness hunting for known animals when this happened, if his story is to be believed.

The one part of the story I have the most problem with is when Justin states they left the juvenile in the bushes to come back for it later. Why? Well, it wouldn’t have taken any time to put that dead body, of the juvenile that they had, into the bed of the truck. Instead, Justin states, they simply left it in the elements and thinking they would come back for it. Justin talks about fear of someone hearing the shots. Why would he have been worried about that if they were still within the legal hunting hours?

That part of the story, for me, is very confusing.

If this story is true, those that are upset should ask themselves one question. Is getting upset with this man going to turn back the hands of time and magically restore life to one or both of these animals?

No, we can get as mad as we want, but the animals in question will not magically regain life.

Justin did, however, take this horrible situation and make the best of it he could. While, he could not find either of the bodies, he did recover samples, which he states were turned over for DNA analysis. Justin could have just said, “Forget it, I don’t care!” And not even went back to look for either body. But, he did (or so he states). He could have walked away from this whole thing. If, he had done that, that would have been a real loss and an absolute crying shame especially if his story is true.

Look folks, I am a realist. I do not think science will ever take us seriously until we have something in the way of DNA that proves this animal exists. We can fight each other all we want on this Kill v. No-Kill issue, but at the end of the day science makes the rules for the proof of existence.

Whether we, like it or not or even if we agree with it, our “feelings” do not matter to the world of science who is asking for solid proof. Those are the rules in which we must play this game if we want this animal recognized and protected.

What I find ironic is this. Everyone; Kill and No-Kill, are anxiously awaiting the results of Dr. Ketchums results.

Some of which come from samples recovered from this, “Sierra shooting incident”. If you are angry with, Justin, over this shooting, isn’t it a bit hypocritical to say you are anxiously awaiting the results of Dr. Ketchums work? How do you think Dr. Ketchum came across the necessary samples to do DNA analysis? All of her work can’t rely on hair samples. She must have blood or tissue samples of some kind, I would think.

Anytime you take away someone’s right to do something, you open the door to having that same right taken away from you.

While today you may not see a reason for why you might want to shoot or kill this animal, there may come a day when you are forced into making that decision. Do you want that decision to have already been made? Life is full of choices, sometimes, they are unforeseeable. Don’t fool yourself.

I have said a thousand times (probably more);

I am No-Kill, but I would not take away someone else’s right to do what they think is right. The decision to be Pro-Kill or No-Kill is a personal decision each one of us must make, on our own. I was not with Justin on that faithful day. I do not know if his story is true. But, my aunt (whom I love very much) has always told me:

“Walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.” I think that is really good advice, so long as you don't also have to remove your brain.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter !!

https://www.facebook.com/melissa.hovey

https://twitter.com/MelissaHovey29

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Travis said…

    Sounds like a trigger-happy hick. As you said though, walk a mile in someone else's shoes. I honestly am not awaiting the results of any DNA test. It is interesting, but there's really only two possible results. ONE: It's not legit, or at least we will be told so. TWO: It was a Bigfoot and it will be confirmed, which would mean one of us killed one of them. It would also mean that the mystery that intrigues all of us will be gone and Bigfoot will then be hunted and possibly captured/killed by those that haven't given a damn about his existence up until that point but for the sake of fame/riches and the sake of science where he can be poke and prodded and placed in a zoo.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Melissa Hovey said…

    There is a lot to think about in your comment, Travis. Thank you. You have given me much to think about today.

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger doglover said…

    Parts of that broadcast were darn hard to listen to and made me just shudder. But what's done is done, we can't go back. And you are absolutely right Melissa, we can't have it both ways. The BF world is waiting impatiently with baited breath for the DNA results of which included in the study are the very samples given by Justin Smeja. Like you I am No Kill, period, but don't judge a man til you have walked in his shoes is so appropriate in this case. Some situations in life are just no win and if the DNA helps prove this species at least that is one positive result. Boy oh boy why is it nothing in the BF world is ever easy or cut and dry. Thanks Melissa.

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Melissa Hovey said…

    "Boy oh boy why is it nothing in the BF world is ever easy or cut and dry."

    Another good question, Doglover..

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Regan Lee said…

    "I am No-Kill, but I would not take away someone else’s right to do what they think is right. The decision to be Pro-Kill or No-Kill is a personal decision each one of us must make, on our own. "

    I take this stand on just about everything, and in the world of Fortean, paranormal and crypto stuff, even more so when it comes to theories and experiences. But in this case, I can't agree with you here Melissa. I'm a NO KILL activist.I don't support a kill, so how can I be so casual in allowing someone else to go off and kill one if they see fit to do so? Uh huh. I am NO KILL and I am all for doing what I can to make sure Sasquatch stays "unkilled"...which means, dinging the bozos out there who think it's fine to shoot at something they don't understand. As you said, it could have been someone in a suit. It could also have been anything else. If the animal, creature, being, whatever isn't doing you any direct harm then why shoot it? A sad and frankly, disgusting state of being to operate in.

    Some who support a NO KILL say it's because Sasquatch is human, or close to human. That may be, and that's certainly further reason to not kill it. But that shouldn't be the only reason. It shouldn't matter if BF has the same level of intelligence as we have, less, or more... killing it just because you can, or to "prove" to science it exists (translation: satisfy ego) is a sad excuse.

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Melissa Hovey said…

    Regan said: I'm a NO KILL activist.I don't support a kill, so how can I be so casual in allowing someone else to go off and kill one if they see fit to do so?" end quote.

    Allowing? How do you or anyone else plan to stop someone who wants to kill something, that in the eyes of the law, does not exist? It's not as if they publish their locations before heading out to the woods.. There are no laws stopping them. I am also No-Kill Regan, but I also acknowledge I am not in the position of "allowing" anyone to do anything - or telling them they can not. If a Pro-Kill researcher ends up shooting a human in a suit, they will end up paying the ultimate price for their actions, but that is for the system to handle.

    I am simply recognizing my limitations. I also think it's sad to think killing one of these animals is the only way to prove it to science, but unfortunately, I don't make the rules for what is scientific proof. The scientists make those rules. You and I can't and won't change that.

    I will not kill one myself, but it is not for me to pass judgment on someone who has thought about the pro's and con's of this particular stance, and made a decision for themself.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Regan Lee said…

    Melissa, I respectfully disagree with your last comment. If I feel it's wrong to KILL something in this context, then I will do what I can to stop it. As you said, that may be impossible, but I can try. I can do that by speaking to the issue, piping up when others come out with pro-kill (and capture) comments, and so on. In this case, I think that those who have "thought about the pros and cons" have made their decision and if they decided a KILL/CAPTURE is the way to go -- I'll just be all out bold and say, sorry, they're wrong. I will not "allow" them to go out and kill. I realize, as you pointed out, stopping them in the literal sense is near impossible, but again, I can try. If nothing else, calling "shame" on those who go forth in hopes of a kill.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    He knew it wasn't a bear and his spotter said don't shoot its a man in a suit plus they were far enough away in a vehicle. So he shot. What am I missing?

     
  • At 4:55 AM, Anonymous virginia_jarvis@yahoo.com said…

    One of Wahington's counties has A FINE OF 10,000 DOLLARS FOR ANYONE KILLING A BIGFOOT. Does that satisfy you as to whether or not it is leagal? Oh yeah. The Bible, book of Joshua tells how he drove the foul smelly giants oout of the valley of Hebron in his conquest of Caanan. Several tribes were acquainted with them. Their King OG's bed was 14 cubits long and 8 cubits wide. Deut 2:20 also mentions them. zamzum mim, a name that describes their swift getaways.
    I thought Dr.Melba has determined the miDNA to be 70% human. THEY HAD A HUMAN MOTHER. Please do not kill.

     
  • At 5:07 AM, Anonymous virginia_jarvis@yahoo.com said…

    One of Wahington's counties has A FINE OF 10,000 DOLLARS FOR ANYONE KILLING A BIGFOOT. Does that satisfy you as to whether or not it is leagal? Oh yeah. The Bible, book of Joshua tells how he drove the foul smelly giants oout of the valley of Hebron in his conquest of Caanan. Several tribes were acquainted with them. Their King OG's bed was 14 cubits long and 8 cubits wide. Deut 2:20 also mentions them. zamzum mim, a name that describes their swift getaways.
    I thought Dr.Melba has determined the miDNA to be 70% human. THEY HAD A HUMAN MOTHER. Please do not kill.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I heard of this shooting as I have heard of a few more of the past and present. I am one of the no shooters, murder is murder what ever way you look at it. I have had the advantage of having a experience with one, so I am not waiting for proof as I am a believer. My experience with that grand creature will never leave my mind and has woken me up to the true evils of man, some men that is. Many talk about hoax even before the person has finished their non-ape experience. Never have I seen a ape cross a 32' road in 3 steps.

     

Post a Comment