March 23, 2007

My first Expedition

*Photo by Chris Buntenbah, Wildlife Photographer*

A few readers of this blog have asked me to discuss my own experiences in the field - Searching for Bigfoot. As a rule, when I am out in the field, I am out there with the fantastic members of the Texas Bigfoot Research Conservancy (formerly the Texas Bigfoot Research Center). Because of that I really do not discuss my work. The TBRC has a fine spokesperson, Craig Woolheater - and I prefer to let him discuss what the TBRC does in the field.

But, I will say this.

Back in January of 2006 I was one of a team that spent 5 days in the Big Thicket National Preserve. It was an experience I will never forget - and my first full on Research experience.

Up until this expedition, when I thought of Texas, images of flat land, cactus and sand ran through my mind, that all changed as I spent my first few hours in the Big Thicket of East Texas. You better be able to read a compass and a map before you head into this area. Prior to this expedition all the researchers met at Daryl Colyers home to discuss the upcoming event and to pre-plan.. Daryl described the area that day as "a Jungle".. I of course did not believe him.. Big mistake. He was absolutely right. The Big Thicket has dense foliage and undergrowth along with enormous trees, animals and at night - its dark and in spots extremely spooky.

It was on this trip I learned.

Listen to Daryl. I learned the importance of drinking lots of water. The daytime in the Big Thicket is hot, even in January... But nighttime is COLD!!! These extremes can and do reek havoc with your body. I learned a hard lesson that week, I also learned to listen to everything Daryl says carefully.

I am interested in the evidence.

That may, or may not prove the existence of this animal, so I prefer to spend my time on daytime operations - in the TBRC we have both, day and night time operations. Daytime is spent looking over the area where the prior operation from the night before took place to see if there are any tracks etc, which is very important and overlooked by many. On this expedition, I was on 2 night time operations (the second cut short by illness - back to the not drinking water again) and the rest of the week was spent on daytime operations looking for tracks etc.

I was part of the group that ran into something on the pipeline the Saturday morning, that led up to the Saturday night incident, and I must tell you - I have no idea what we encountered that morning, but whatever it was, it was having nothing to do with us, and refused to be pushed into an opening so we could get a visual on it. We played a cat and mouse game with whatever animal this was - for well over an hour, until it finally went off further into the brush. Before we left the area altogether though, one member was able to capture a great moment on video. We still have no idea what it was for sure, but it sure makes you think.

I came out of this expedition with more questions, than answers.

Which is another reason for why I do not discuss my field work, I really have no answers - I can speculate, but I have no answers, which is frustrating at times.

This week was one of the most fulfilling of my life. I challenged myself in a hostile environment, and I came out just fine. I had fun with a group of Men and Women I think are just wonderful, and would do this again in a heart beat. :)

If your interested in reading the report of this field expedition click on this link


  • At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey melissa wonderful new update article in your blog about your first sasquatch expedition, i hope you post more about other expeditions in your blog. thanks bill :)


Post a Comment