Blogbanner1

December 13, 2010

Is this what we have become?

How often do you disagree with fellow researchers in the field of “Bigfoot Research”? If you disagreed with another researcher – even strongly, would you refer to that person as a “feminine product” that starts with a D and ends in “Bag”?

That’s exactly what Sharon Lee did last night on SquatchDetective. By Sharon’s own admission, she decided to have a few glasses of wine, prior to her appearance and boy, did she put on an appearance. In the interest of full disclosure, I did not listen to this show – I did however receive a full accounting, and what an accounting it was.

First she started out with Tim Fasano.

While I disagree with everything this man says, I would never get on a radio program, or even this blog, and use the words Sharon Lee used to describe this man. Isn’t saying, “I disagree” enough? Have we, the researchers involved in the field of research, decided saying, “I disagree” is not strong enough, that now we need to resort to profanity laced daggers to throw at people?

Have we as a community become that hateful?

Also, at one point in this Sharon discussed how she only likes researchers who display a positive attitude. Huh…. Way to be positive Sharon!! You get big thumbs up. Yes, I am being sarcastic.

Then she had words to say about me. Why? I have no idea. I haven't spoken to Sharon Lee in more than a year. I seen her at the Ohio Conference, but spent no time talking to her. So, I am clueless why she attacked me, more specifically my physical appearance during the filming of MonsterQuest. Well, I am glad, Sharon Lee, knows what’s important to this field of research, that being:


All you women need to make sure you fix your hair, and make sure your makeup is perfect while you are in the field.



When I get into the woods, I am not there to look pretty for Sharon Lee or anyone other than my fiancé, and he is very happy with my physical appearance.

Finally, the point I felt was the defining moment during this interview. Sharon Lee proudly announces: (drum roll) she can have any man who is involved in the field of bigfoot research – she just needs to decide which one to sleep with.

*Blog edited to add in reference to the comments by Sharon above* This is a tamed down version of what Sharon Lee actually said, as I can not publish her actual words - suffice it to say she didnt use the word "sleep with ".. I think we are all on the same page now.

I wish I had the appropriate emoticon for this comment. You know the one with the big bulging eyes..

If this has become acceptable to those who call themselves “bigfoot researchers” – then it’s a sad day, and I am not sure I even want to be involved. I don’t post to this blog much, because, honestly, I am deeply saddened with the way things have become in the past year. People want to talk about bigfoot less and less. Instead they would rather badmouth others and hurl insults.

No, I don’t agree with everything I hear or see in reference to this research, but when did it become okay to be mean, just to be mean? Can’t we find other ways to show disagreement? Is this the direction we are headed, with Sharon lee manning the reigns? God, I hope not.

This afternoon Sharon Lee is sorry. Stating she drank too much wine, and said things she didn’t mean to say. Really? That’s not what she said on Steve Kulls Facebook page this morning:



or just prior to her interview with Steve Kulls. Sharon Lee knew exactly what she was doing. Sharon announced before the show on her Facebook Page, she planned to do it, and it was witnessed by people who called me to tell me. I am sure Sharon Lee was sorry, once the fall out from her rant started becoming clear. For many, it's simply too late.

You decide. What is acceptable to you? Is this the way you want the work you do in the field, viewed by the general public? That I guess is up to you.

I am exhausted.

I am tired of the name calling, the profanity filled hatred being thrown in the direction of people – simply because they have an opinion, I or others, do not agree with. It’s not professional, and it’s not appropriate, especially when you call yourself a “bigfoot researcher” and you want to be viewed as a “figure” within this community. Don’t we all have enough to deal with from outside this community? Isn’t it bad enough we face this kind of hatred from those who do not understand why we do what we do, but to have it within our own community --- what a dark time for us all.

Sharon Lee does not speak for me,

Or, anyone I am associated with and have spoken to today. My phone has been ringing off the hook, and the reaction to how Sharon Lee really feels, has been severe. Many of us today are saddened and sick to our stomachs over the hatred that spilled from her mouth last night. I feel like I owe Tim Fasano an apology, and I never said anything. Someone should apologize to him for the horrible name he was called. I know I was horrified and embarrassed.

Everyone should be.

I do not blame Steve Kulls. I just hope in the future he will screen his guests a whole lot better. Sharon Lee should have known better than to get drunk and do an interview. This is on her, and not Steve Kulls. Sharon, you can respond in any way you see fit, just remember, I didn’t hand you that bottle last night, or force it down your throat. You did this to yourself. You owe EVERYONE an apology for your adolescent behavior. Being drunk does not excuse the hurt you caused last night. I may have strong opinions and yes I voice them – but at least I am not out there calling people filthy names, belittling women based on their physical appearance, or discussing the other things you feel are important, which have nothing to do with actual bigfoot field investigation.

You embarrassed yourself.

14 Comments:

  • At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Darkwing said…

    The MABRC recognized all these problem areas of Sharon when we removed her from the MABRC two years ago. We since suffered abuse from her because we did what we thought was the right thing to do.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Ed Smith said…

    This Is the place holder over at blogtalk as posted by squatchdetective radio

    "Date / Time: December 12, 2010
    Show of December 12th, 2010
    After consulting with the creative staff and the hosts, the December 12th, 2010 show, will not be left in archive, due to the show not meeting the standards of a family oriented program."

    Things that make you go Humm!!!
    One of the things that stood out about a conversation that I had with Sharron about a few weeks be for the derailed infrasound experiment when she ask if she could drink during the experiment.
    Like they say it all tracks back.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow....and they say that those who claim to have seen bigfoot have issues? Sounds to me like SHE needs to seek some therapy. No wonder everyone in the BF community or with any interest in BF gets such a bad rap. SHAME ON YOU SHARON!

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Ed Smith said…

    http://squatchdradio.squatchdetective.com/show_1374141.mp3

    Show is available at this link just click the advisory logo

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe it would have been better to have a thick skin and not cry about it on a blog that you have used to attack others in the past. If you want this kind of thing to end then stop doing it and stop responding to it.

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    People should be held accountable for what they say and do whether they are drunk or not!

     
  • At 6:04 AM, Blogger RocKiteman {aka, Kite-Squatch} said…

    My only comment {for now} as to 'what we have become' is a line from a song by Don Henley:

    "The wolf is always at the door...."

    -Allan, aka RocKiteman, aka Kite-Squatch

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Darkwing said…

    Steve Kulls has since posted the show archive back online with a parental advisory and I have to say, when you listen to the show, Steve had every opportunity to pull the plug on this show and should be held accountable for what happened as much as Sharon. Here is the link to the archive show for those wanting to listen.

    http://squatchdradio.squatchdetective.com/show_1374141.mp3

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Melissa Hovey said…

    Kite - I think you are more correct about that, than anyone knows...

    Darren- Honestly, I am glad Steve let Sharon dig her own hole, jump in and bury herself.. Sharon is a grown adult, and should be held responsible for her own actions. Could Steve have pulled the plug? Sure, but if he had, this side of Sharon many of us know well, would still be a secret.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Melissa Hovey said…

    This anonymous comment came in to the blog.

    “Maybe it would have been better to have a thick skin and not cry about it on a blog that you have used to attack others in the past. If you want this kind of thing to end then stop doing it and stop responding to it.” End of Anonymous quote.

    First of all, since you obviously approve of what Sharon Lee said, go to my blog and show me what article I wrote – using obscenities to hurt people. Show me where I used the word “D-Bag” to describe someone. Go – look, you won’t find it. Why? Because, I am not drunk when I post articles on this blog for one, and two – there is no need for it. My understanding and knowledge of the English language is so advanced, I do not need to use words like “Mother F” or “D –bag” to describe a fellow researcher.

    I listened to the show last night, by the way, and in all honesty – it was far worse than I had even imagined. Steve Kulls being speechless is like being a witness to a Bigfoot – it doesn’t happen very often and when it does, it’s a moment you will never forget. I was absolutely stunned..

    Having an opinion about information that is being “put out” by a researcher – is far different, than the embarrassing display Sharon Lee put on during that show. Sharon Lee is the one responsible for this fiasco – no one else. But, I am not surprised, Sharon or her friends would want someone else to take the blame – she never could accept responsibility for her actions. Why should Sharon Lee be allowed to voice her opinion, drunk or sober, and everyone else should shut up, is beyond me. So, is it your contention the only opinion we should care about is Sharon Lee’s?

    I am thankful your comment came in – it shows the absolute lack of basic human respect that has become common place in this community. I absolutely love comments like this. Maybe you should take some time to figure out why my opinion bothers you so much. I know why it bothers you.. But, that is an epiphany you must come to on your own.

    I am simply doing, as Sharon Lee stated she does on her blog – reporting on the people who call themselves bigfoot researchers. Sharon Lee is not special or immune from the same scrutiny she places on everyone else. I just won’t call her (or you) filthy names. She sealed her fate all by herself, during that interview.

    I hope that one day Sharon Lee gets the help she so deseperately needs. You should be encouraging her to do what's necessary, so this never happens again. Instead, I bet your patting her on the back and telling her you LOVED her interview. Which is sad, because in all honesty, that's not being a friend...

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger In Search Of said…

    Well,Melissa you have nothing to worry about in the looks department and I'm sure Wayne and many others will agree with me. I havent listened to the show yet but from what I gather..it is a doozy. I have very strong opinions about this research and have a very strong opposition to the habituators/paranormal/telepathic believers,yet I try to never get personal,though I do think many of us "flesh and blood" researchers should do our best to distance ourselves from that group. Take care Melissa,sorry you had to be exposed to that. On the subject of Fasano,while I have my own reservations about the man,I would never resort to name calling without being attacked first. Keep your head up Melissa,you are far above this whole mess!!!

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Melissa Hovey said…

    In Search Of - you are such a wonderful person, I wish there were more in the world like you.

    In all honesty, isnt true beauty judged by what's on the inside? Anyone can fake a cute exterior.

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melissa , have you had any new developments in regards to your research in your part of the country lately ? ....... Big John "STUD". : )

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Melissa Hovey said…

    Hello Big John,

    Yes actually both Wayne and myself have had some interesting audio recordings. The recordings are of just about the same type of sound from two different research locations. We have not released them, and at this time have no plans on doing so until they are looked into further.

     

Post a Comment