Blogbanner1

December 15, 2010

Steve "Indy" Pickett

I must have started this article 20 times, at least.

In life there are moments when you feel as if the wind has been knocked right out of you...

Let me tell you a story.

When I first became involved with this research, back in 2005, I spent a lot of time on the old BFF, where I met Henry May. One day, after a rousing back and forth over the PGF on the BFF, Henry asked me if I wanted to join him and his friends in this yahoo chat. I said, "Sure".

This is how I met the people who have become the majority of my long time friends. Henry May, Sean Forker, Billy Willard, Steve Pickett, Eric Altman and Steve Kulls.. These chats were a nightly event that I had come to look forward to. We would discuss various issues in the research and within the community. Often times (more so than not) Henry would fire up an old "Coast to Coast" show - to settle a dispute and there we would sit till all hours of the night, listening to Coast to Coast, and when the show buffered, Henry - as he beat the tower of his computer with a brush and yelled at it. Which of course was followed by laughter from those of us listening..

This group of friends was a life line for me. What many do not know is I had just moved to Texas from Wisconsin. I had no family in Texas, and while I was in the TBRC, I was new - and just getting to know the people within the organization. These guys welcomed me and treated me like "one of the guys". This circle of friends helped ease the homesick feeling I had, every single day.

Indy was a little more difficult for me to get to know. Have you ever met someone like that? Their difficult to first know, but once you get to know them, you crack that exterior and you discover someone who would give you the shirt off their back? That's Indy. The best people in the world to know, are worth the time it takes to get to know them. I include Indy in that group.

There was no doubt, Indy, was a family man, who filled his heart with love for his wife Robin, and their 6 children. I remember hours of Indy discussing his engagement to Robin. Steve had found a life partner in Robin and his soul mate. I remember how excited he was when he started his Radio Program, and his bigfooting group.

People say you can not form a real friendship or a connection over the Internet.. Those people never met Indy. I finally met Indy and Robin, during the Ohio Conference this past May, and all I can say is, it was one of the best days I have had in the last 5 years.

To Robin and children, you have my deepest, heart felt condolences. Words can not express how deeply saddened I and others are by your loss.

The world needs more people like Steve Pickett.... I ask the entire community to keep Robin and the children in your thoughts, prayers and hearts.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Sean "The Forkchop" Forker said…

    Will never forget those long nights of conversation. Nor will I forget Henry beating the hell out of his PC with a hairbrush. Life seems a bit duller... my heart still aches.

     

Post a Comment